- 1 14 ounce bag caramels
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 8 oz. (two 4-ounce packages) German sweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 6 ounce package chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out - LVB)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan. Combine
caramels and evaporated milk in top of double boiler over low heat. Cover
and simmer until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. Set aside,
- Combine German sweet chocolate and butter in 2 quart saucepan. Place
over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from heat. Cool
to room temperature.
- Beat eggs until foamy, using electric mixer at high speed. Gradually
add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and lemon-colored.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to egg mixture,
mixing well. Blend in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Spread half of mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake for 6 minutes.
Remove from oven, and spread caramel mixture carefully over baked layer.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the walnuts into the remaining chocolate batter.
Spread batter by spoonfuls over the caramel layer. Sprinkle with remaining
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. Refrigerate before cutting
into bars or squares. These brownies are very difficult to cut if not
Makes 25 brownies.
Oct 2001 [from "Cookiemania: 100 irresistible recipes for cookiemaniacs"
by Jeri Dry and Alix Engel, page 9]
Home page -
Chaz ("Hazel") -