Awesome Fudgy Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) (I don't use nuts. - LVB)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil so that foil extends 2 inches beyond the two long sides of the pan. Lightly butter bottom and sides of foil-lined pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat butter and chocolates in a microwave oven on HIGH for 1 to 3 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until chocolate is melted (or use a double boiler over hot, but not simmering, water). Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer set at medium-high speed, beat eggs and sugars for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light in color. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla until blended. Beat in flour and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in nuts, if desired.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted 2 inches from center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Do not overbake.
- Remove pan to wire rack. Cool for about 15 minutes. Using the two ends of foil as handles, lift brownies out of pan and cool on foil for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares. Store completely cooled brownies in an airtight container at cool room temperature.
These brownies freeze well.
Makes 20 brownies.
Oct 2001 [from "Quick Chocolate Fixes"
by Leslie Weiner and Barbara Albright, pages 61-62]
Home page -
Chaz ("Hazel") -