Basic Roll Dough
oven: 400 F
- 3.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1.25 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- In mixing bowl, combine 1.5 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- Heat milk, sugar, shortening, and salt just till warm (115-120 degrees),
stirring constantly till shortening almost melts.
- Add to dry mixture; add egg.
- Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
- Beat 3 min at high speed.
- By hand, stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Shape into ball.
- Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till double, 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Punch down; turn out on floured surface.
- Cover; let rest 10 min.
- Shape into desired rolls.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till double, 30 to 45 min.
- Bake on greased baking sheets or in greased muffin pans in hot oven (400 F) for
10 to 12 min.
Makes 2 to 3 dozen rolls.
from BETTER HOMES & GARDEN looseleaf new cookbook
Back to My Other Recipe Files
Home of Margarita Jell-O, an alcoholic use for lime